Sunday, March 4, 2012

My lunch today and a little insight

After church, I was so hungry. I was tempted to hurl myself into the first Fast Food drive thru line for some fries or a sad excuse for a salad. However, I was strong. I waited until I got home. And I rummaged through the fridge and cabinets and found my lunch there. It was so delicious, I wanted to share it. :o)
I gathered some asparagus, potatoes, a garlic clove, and about a 1/6 of an onion (the onion was sliced up from a previous meal). 
After that, chopped up the onion and garlic, and threw them in some Olive Oil over the stove. While they got all hot and sizzly, I chopped the asparagus in thirds and sliced up the potatoes. Then I threw them in the skillet and started to stir the lot up.

 
I added some Black Pepper To the mix and stir/tossed it about for bit. 

I like 'em to be crispy, so I ended up getting some black spots where they had burnt, lol. 

I then placed some of the veggies on a plate and, just to experiment, I sprinkled some Feta Cheese on top (I love Feta). I had a mandarin orange on the side, just 'cause. :o)

So many times people ask me what it is  I eat, since I'm a vegetarian, and I laugh at them. There is more to this world than meat, processed foods, fast food, and pop (or soda). I'm not trying to sound all high and mighty, holier-than-thou, but there is something to be said for finding alternative means of feeding and fueling yourself. Someone once shared with me the phrase "We eat to live; we do not live to eat." It sad but I know that there are people out there in this world who do live to eat, for whatever reason. I feel sorry for those people. 
     I know it is a pain to have to prepare a meal or a dish when you know a vegetarian is in the room. I can suck to have to put with a vegetarian, especially those who do it for animal rights. They are the worst! I did it for my health, and to challenge myself. I suddenly found myself at a point in my life where I had just cut a major meat eater out of my life and I was looking for a healthier lifestyle for myself. Vegetarianism was something in which I had always been interested and that was the perfect time to try it. Almost two years later, I don't regret it. I have lost a significant amount of weight and I look forward to losing more as I gain more insight on how to eat better. 


No comments: