Saturday, October 30, 2010

Tahrea, Vegetarian, Part Two or The End of National Vegetarian Month

I did not intend for my previous blog to be a two part thing, but I've actually had some great feedback the first part. I thought I'd follow up and expand on a few things. As of yesterday, I've been a vegetarian for four months now! Yay! I have felt better and my body has been functioning better, excluding these past few weeks where my cast mates and I have been sharing some sort of bug with each other. I have actually lost 24 pounds since I started this endeavor, an extra fabulous bonus. :o)
Every once in a while, I find myself craving a steakburger from Steak N Shake or bacon. However, since I look at this whole change as a challenge for myself, I know that not giving in to certain cravings only helps me build my will power. To me, it's like some one trying to quit smoking, though not as extreme. What's aggravating is that when someone close to me says they reeeeeally want to smoke a cigarette and I support them by discouraging that craving, but when I make a small mention about how I kinda miss bacon, I am encouraged to EAT the bacon. Argh. That response certainly does not helping my personal cause. Luckily, the worse BAD craving that has cracked me is french fries. Yep, I've gone through a drive thru as of late for some fries and a fruit and yogurt parfait more than once. GUILTY. :o/
As we end National Vegetarian Month, I reflect on the past couple of months and realize how much I've learned about myself and about the amazing alternatives I have been given or have discovered. I hope that more people will explore healthier options for themselves and make healthy decisions for themselves as they reach for their next meal.
Remember, we eat to live. We do not live to eat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the article Tahrea. Keep it up! I enjoy reading your blogs!! Elaine