Saturday, September 5, 2009

Restaurant woes.... and a slight rant

As most people who know me... know, I work at the Tuscan Table.
Now, I like my job.
I love the folks I work with, and, for the most part, I like most of the patrons who come in and dine in our fine restaurant.
BUT, I've gotta rant about something that has been bugging me all day.
Sometimes folks (maybe someone like yourself) enter a restaurant, sit down at their table, and proceed to receive terrible service.
Or their server is just unpleasant.
Or the experience overall is unpleasant.
For whatever reason, said patron may feel the need to NOT leave a tip, or (And, personally, this is worse) they leave a PENNY.
If the server sucks or is just a total tool, that is somewhat understandable.
However, I entreat you to sit back and try and empty your mind of any negative or heated emotion long enough to try and figure out if the situation warrants NOT tipping your server.
After all, this individual does work for tips.
Maybe it wasn't their fault the food was undercooked or not cooked to your liking or even late in arriving to your table.
I'd say, speaking as a patron and not a server, if they try and make it right and appease you, leave them at least a dollar or two.
Please.
I know I said previously that I was going to rant, but it isn't specifically about the above mentioned situations.
What I want to rant about is a related topic that bristles my metaphoric haunches worse than anything else....
IF your server has done everything right, delivered your food, made sure your drinks are filled sufficiently, checked on you and your table, and you leave them NO tip, you....
You just aren't a nice person.
I can almost understand if the restaurant is packed and the server hasn't met your personal standards of table visits and drink refills, but if you are clearly one of only a handful of tables and, at the end of your visit you are sufficiently full of drink and food and you are still in a good mood, you should leave some sort of tip.
AND a penny doesn't cut it.
Once again, if you have the gall to leave a penny as a tip, just keep your copper.
It's an insult.
And it doesn't reflect on you as an individual, especially if you come in and do it more than once.
We at the Table have experienced this strange phenomenon a number of times, unfortunately.
However, this is a universal thing for any server in any restaurant.
Just... try and be kind to your server.
It'll be appreciated and reciprocated.
Please and thank you.
:o)

No comments: