Saturday, January 2, 2010

Yay inspiration!!!

So, I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my classes this semester since LAST semester started.I've been wanting to integrate Sign Language into a performance since I think theatre is a great place to learn and I think a little Sign Language is good for anyone. Plus, like most anything, it's easy to learn if it's put to music. So, I keep hearing Matisyahu's on the radio and have just fallen in love with him. He is the best Reggae Hassidic Artist right now (Well, probably the only one). One song in particular, One Day, just makes me smile and I can't help but love it. I had an a-HA! moment recently when I realized I should marry the two, my desire for ASL in my MT classes and my love for this song, and create a performance piece for the kids to learn and, hopefully, perform in our recital in May. WOOT!
Unfortunately, I haven't really had any ideas as to what they could do with the song. I mean, yeah, they could SIGN along to the song, but you can't JUST sign to a song when you are performing. It has to flow, almost like a dance. THEN, tonight, as I laid miserable in my bed, listening to music and surfing my interwebs, I was abruptly inspired! Thank you, my Muse! The signs began to mesh together and blend together. I'm not uber savvy with ASL so I had to look up a few signs. After that, I was able to figure it out. DOUBLE WOOOOT! I am so pumped and I can't wait to get the kids started Tuesday. They are going to be excited to work on a new song and a new way of performing. :o)

No comments: