Saturday, February 7, 2009

Blocking.... the bane of my existence....

Little Johnny Jones opened last night.
All I'm going to say is that it lived up to all the expectations I had gained through peeping in on rehearsals...
Yep.

So Treasure Island rehearsals start on Monday.
How amazing is that????
I am excited to get started just so we can get the blocking over and DONE with.
Ugh.
I don't think anyone really likes blocking....
It is so tedious.
Plus, everytime we've done blocking in the past (as an assistant Director), I couldn't give real notes.
AND I HATE THAT!
I want them to start thinking about volume and emotion always!
However...
I know they have get the blocking first.
THEN, the REAL acting can begin...
UGH.
We'll be blocked by the end of February...
That may change depending on how these first two weeks go....
And by change I mean we may be blocked sooner than that and have moved on to doing rehearsals act by act...
We WILL be COMPLETELY blocked by the end of the month.
My actors will know their blocking by the end of this month.
Hopefully they will know their lines too.....
One might think that is pushing it a bit, but I know for a fact it can be done.
I had to memorize 120 lines in a two week span to fill in for Junia a few years ago.
And last year, I had to learn a part in Pinocchio.
I found out Tuesday and had to do the character Friday.
It can be done!
And I'm going to work with all of them to learn their lines.
These people will either love me or hate me...
Then, as soon as Little Johnny Jones is finished, I'm going to tear that theatre apart looking for costumes, props, and set pieces.
I really want to be prepard ahead of time so the actors can get used to using their props and working around a set.
I'm even planning on making/building a camp fire.
AUGH!
It's going to rock if I can get it just right.

Another thing I need to learn is DELEGATION.
I'm going to be very hands on with everything, but I need to remember that I have a lot of people willing to help.
Plus, James will need stuff to do.
lol
I'm going to ask him to find Pirate-y music to play during before and after the show, and during intermission.
I've already to everybody that we're all getting together on the 28th for set building and painting.
That's going to be fun.

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

I feel your pain during those dry blocking rehearsals. Especially with such a large cast!
I'm so uber-nerdy when I prepare for them as a director! I get a floor plan and have this film canister full of little people-shaped cutouts. While I read the play, I scoot those around on the floor plan to help me visualize. It's a little Pink Floyd-The Wall, I know. But, it works for me!
LOL re: paragraph 1, btw.