Sunday, February 22, 2009

Watch out world... We've just fueled the fire...

Last night, the fabulous Josh and I ventured up I-270 yesterday evening to watch Bread and Circus Theatre Company's production of Macbeth.
My dearest friends Danielle and Manny (From Lear) played the insatiable and insane Macbeth's.
The play was set in the deep south Bayou country, in the 1920's.
The majority of the cast did a really great job using their skill of cajun and creole accents to go along with the story.
FABULOUS because I find that accent to be quite attractive when coming from the right lips.
Apparently, part of the director's vision was to accentuate the weird sisters' presence in the production, which I can respect.
But, I was slightly disappointed by two things where these characters were concerned.
1.) I found their presence onstage to be a bit...
excessive?
They were onstage moreso than I am personally used to....
2.) The Voodoo sisters were... white.
As in Caucasian...
I was expecting a bit more realistic voodoo soul....
Call me a purist...
I will say they did a good job at their roles and worked off of each other well.
And Kudos to the director, Mony, for thinking outside the box.

"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Macbeth Quote (Act V, Scene V).

1 comment: