Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Georgia, Part Six

It has been an interesting couple of days. Yesterday we though Grandpa was gone. He was catatonic and breathing quite strangely in the afternoon and evening, after waking up and making phone calls early in the morning. Then, this morning he did the same thing. He woke up talking and eating only to sink in a deep sleep. However, he did wake up and was talking throughout the day. When Ray, Carol, and I arrived he was sleeping but did wake up after the nurse gave him a oxygen mask. He didn't say much until we started to leave. Then he asked Ray to talk without "all these witnesses around" (All two of us).  Outside of the room, Carol and I could clearly hear Grandpa and Ray began fighting over my presence in Grandpa's life. It was crazy. I was really peeved that it was still an issue after 15 years. I was also a little hurt. So when Ray left the room, I took the advice received from a cousin and went in the room by myself. I apologized and tried to explain my reasoning. I told him I loved him and Ethel very much and that's why I'm here. I also told him that I had been the one caring for Ethel for the past couple of days. He just sat and stared so I left. I felt more fulfilled than hurt or angry. I have waited so long to talk to that man and to explain myself and I've finally done. I have completely fulfilled my personal mission in coming down here. I met Grandpa and Ethel and even some family I've never met. I got to talk with Ethel and interact with her on a level I never saw coming. I was able to see Macon and different areas that have become major spots in Ray's life and my own. Just stepping foot in this house was amazing enough for me.
Now that Ethel has the care she needs and Grandpa is stable enough that he'll be coming home soon, Ray and Carol are taking me to Florida to see where they live. Bradenton is five hours away from here, so we'll leave in the morning and be there with enough time to spare for some awesome tomfoolery. I'm really excited to meet Shawn and to see a part of their lives together. Then, I'm flying out of Sarasota in the morning and will be in Ohio at 10:30 AM to be picked up by my darling Josh.
I hate the idea of Ethel but I don't want to be here anymore if it will bring some sort of distress to my grandfather. I am not looking forward to telling Ethel we're leaving. I love her so much and I hate to see her cry. I guess we'll just see what happens.

No comments: