Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Georgia, Part One

After a wonderful birthday, I have quite a week ahead of me. My biological father, Ray, called me yesterday, as he has for the past few weeks, to inform me of the status of his father's health. Little to my surprise, grandpa's health has deteriorated greatly and he has taken a turn for the worse. Ray then surprised me by asking me to come down to say goodbye. Come down... to Georgia. Macon, Georgia, to be specific. Since I was a child, traveling to see my grandfather has been one of my greatest wishes. Of course, my decision was simple. Only it wasn't. Going to Georgia meant I had to cancel my classes for this week, cancel rehearsal plans for the Easter program, actually missing the Easter program, and Rhonda's birthday celebration. After weighing my options, making phone calls, apologizing, and completely freaking out, my decision was made up. So now I sit in Port Columbus, Gate C56, waiting to board my flight. I had to wake up from an hour's worth of sleep around 2:45 am and get here about 4. My shaking due to nerves, stomach gurgling,  and lack of sleep have subsided slightly, though I'm not looking forward to the Atlanta airport as I have been told several times that it is enormous. My one relief is that Carol, Ray's darling wife, will be arriving a few minutes  before I will on her flight from Florida. Then, we shall wait for our 10:20 am flight to Macon where we will meet up with Ray.
Then, we venture into unknown circumstances. I don't know what this next week will hold for me, whether I shall be attending a funeral or not. My flight coming home has not yet been planned as our plans are unknown. I just pray the flights are smooth and I don't completely lose my mind in an airport.

Please God. Let this be a wonderful experience. Keep me safe.

No comments: