Thursday, October 23, 2008

Paper or plastic????

I've always like this planet.
I can't imagine living anywhere else.
It's perfect.
Not to far or close to the sun.
Ample living space.
Great place to raise a family.
Well... it used to be anyways.
It still has potential to be as it once was.
Really.
And with all this hullabaloooooo about being earth-friendly and yadayadayada I felt now was a great time to start "doing my part."
As I wasn't quite sure what "my part" really consisted of, I decided to grab an old Steve and Barry's bag in which I started putting all our used water bottles and pop cans.
YAY!
I'm helping!
Then, mom and I went to Half Price bookstore and purchased one of their oversized shopping bags in which you could fit a small country.
THEN, mom came home a couple weeks ago with a couple of those black Wal-mart shopping bags.
YAY!
More helping!!!
Tonight, while killing time after the musical theatre classes, I trekked over to the dollar tree to purchase a couple of trivial items.
As I was paying for said items, I noticed that this store also had its own form of the earth-friendly shopping bag.
I handed my money to the cashier (friendly thing she was...), and asked, "Oh, are those a dollar???"
"YUP" was the gruff reply I received.
"May I have one of those as well please?"
Plus tax, this bag was $1.14.
Life goes on.
As I paid for the bag, I held in several delicious comments as I watched this woman take the earth friendly bag and place it in the PLASTIC BAG THAT HELD THE PREVIOUSLY PURCHASED ITEMS.
Are you KIDDING ME??!?!?!?!!
FOR WHAT FLIPPING PURPOSE DID I BUY THE FREAKING EARTH FRIENDLY BAG IF NOT TO CARRY OTHER ITEMS IN WAY THAT WAS EFFICIENT AND EARTH FRIENDLY????
WTF?
On the outside, however, I calmly said, "You can go ahead and put the other items in the green bag and I'll just take them like that."
She just said, "Works for me."
OMFG.
I know I was in the Circleville Dollar Tree where common sense and smarts don't really account for much, but COME ON.
I just felt my mind begin to swell and explode as I walked out the door.
I truly had a "THAT JUST HAPPENED" moment.

Today just wasn't a good one overall, so that moment just topped it all for me.
I lost my cell phone to the bottom of the bar sink at work today.
I was hugging a friend and the phone slipped from my back pocket and gently splashed into the sink full of soapy water only to softly thud at the bottom of the metal sink.
I was hysterical.
Utterly hysterical.
John, the gentleman I was hugging, has generously offered to purchase a new phone for me, being the fabulous human being he is...
Luckily we had an extra phone here at the house that dad purchased several months ago, and it was in good enough shape to put to use.
Ugh.
Now I have to go phone shopping tomorrow.

1 comment: