Friday, November 28, 2008

Life's a Funny Proposition



I am about to do the unthinkable.
Well, not unthinkable...
Well...
Okay, I'm auditioning for another play.
And mom isn't totally pleased.
As usual.
BUT, I'm only auditioning for one role.
HA!
Oh, it's Little Johnny Jones.
A musical.
At RTP.
Chances are, I'll get a part.
I wonder how good my chances are that I'll get the part for which I'm auditioning....



Here's a synopsis of the play, in case you are wondering....



A brash, patriotic American jockey, Johnny Jones, goes to England to ride his horse, Yankee Doodle, in the English Derby. Jones falls in love with Goldie Gates, a San Francisco copper heiress, who follows him to Britain, disguising herself as a man to discover if Jones really loves her. Anthony Anstey, an American who runs a Chinese gambling establishment in San Francisco, offers Jones a bribe to lose the race deliberately, but he refuses. After Jones loses, Anstey spreads rumors that he threw the race intentionally. Jones' detective, pretending to be a drunkard, searches for evidence to clear Johnny's name and finds out that it was Anstey that framed Jones. Jones tells his friends who are returning to America, "Give My Regards to Broadway," but he stays in London to try to regain his reputation. Jones returns to America with his name cleared, eager to propose marriage to Goldie, but he finds that Anstey has kidnapped her. He and his detective search for her in San Francisco's Chinatown, eventually finding her.



It sounds cute.
And the character I want, Goldie (Surprise surprise) is a Alto-Mezzo Soprano AKA MY RANGE!!!
AHA!

Here's a song list:

The Cecil in London - Jenkins
They're All My Friends - Timothy D. McGee
Mam'selle Fauchette - Goldie Gates
'Op in the 'Ansom - Cabbies and Reformers
Nesting in a New York Tree - Florabelle Fly
Yankee Doodle Boy - Johnny Jones
Off to the Derby - Company
Girls from the U.S.A. - Florabelle Fly
(Sailors of St. Hurrah - Sailors
Captain of a Ten Day Boat - Captain Squirvy
Goodbye Flo - Goldie Gates
Good Old California - Henry Hapgood
A Girl I Know - Johnny Jones and Goldie Gates
Give My Regards to Broadway - Johnny Jones
March of the Frisco Chinks - Company
Life's a Funny Proposition - Johnny Jones

Should be fun.
I think I'm gonna sing "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man."
Same solo I used for my LTOB audition.
I just know if I don't get Goldie, the director will probably want me to be an extra or whatever to help with singing.
NOT.
It would be cool to be a leading lady for once...
Seriously.
Lord knows I've got the Diva mentality down.
I've used it enough times.
Just not in the musical sense.
Regan was just chalk full of it at times.
(AW, I miss Regan....)
This leading lady is probably a goody-goody one though.
THAT will require some acting on my part.
Not that it will be a problem or anything.
LOL...

No comments: