Monday, December 22, 2008

AGH... CHRISTMAS EVE

As today is the 22nd of December, I feel it is only neccessary to point out that Christmas is 3 days away...
2 if you count Christmas Eve.
Which I do.
See, every Christmas Eve, my dad's side of the family gets together at my grandparent's house.
This means my parents, sister, my grandparents, my uncle Laris and Aunt Linda, my cousin Tiara and her Husband Joe, My cousin Tiffany and her Husband Taren, their kids Kaylin and baby Wyatt, and my cousin Eric, and my great-uncle Bud and his wife Lorraine.
As of the past couple of years, my mother's parents have also joined in with the Christmas Eve Festivities, which is always fabulous.
Another new addition to the Eve fest has been the White Elephant gift game, for which I purchased a strange looking Elf-Fairy dude.
He resembles that of a yard gnome in that he's plump and looks as if he has rosacea, but he has these stubby little wings that made me lose it in the middle of TJ Maxx when I first saw him amongst the random Christmas Decorations.
A while back, we decided to change the regular "get EVERYONE a gift" idea, and do a Secret Santa Gift exchange instead, which has gone fairly well.
We still get the little ones gifts, and Grandma and Grandpa NEVER abide by the rules and always get everyone a gift, but it's still fun.
LOL.
For the past two years, I drew Taren's name from the bowl.
The first year I was totally clueless as to what to get this guy.
Then I remembered the constant back-and-forth ribbing we give each other, and the evil smile crept upon my face.
When he opened his gift that Christmas Eve, the family was in an uproar of laughter as he pulled out a T-shirt with the words "I'M WITH STUPID" sprawled acrossed it chest.
The amusing part was that the words were crowned with an arrow pointing up to the collar of the shirt, calling the wearer stupid, instead of the usual arrow pointing to side, which would put into question the intelligence of one who would stand next to the wearer of the shirt.
LUCKY me, I drew his name again for last Christmas Eve.
OH BOY.
How to top the shirt, was the question.
For now, it was no longer a gift of neccessity or want, but a gift of what could get the biggest laughs.
Christmas Eve had now melded with April Fools Day.
The deliciously Evil idea crept into my mind one day last fall....
One that was to the highest degree of evil that my mother nearly wet herself from laughter at the thought.
LAST CHRISTMAS EVE, I made sure Taren was the last member to open his gift.
I made a big show of it, if you can imagine.
Not that it wasn't a show already.
The box itself was as tall as I am, but only 9 inches wide all around.
Obnoxious enough, I also took the liberty of fashioning a tag out of a scrapbook page.
In big bold letters I put the TO: TAREN, FROM:TAHREA.
As he opened the box of obnoxiousness, there were several chuckles and titters.
He pulled out the packing paper I stuffed into the box.
Then the Tinstle.
More Tinstle....
AND MORE.
Then Tissue Paper.
THEN some more packing paper.
Tinstle.
THEN, a small bag of rocks.
The other bag of rocks.
FINALLY, a small gift bag taped up.
After a few minutes of dealing with the bag, he opened it and pulled out an altoids box.
Opening the box, he pulled out seven different gift cards, and turned to me.
The chuckles and tittering had morphed into uproars...
With my deliciously evil grin, I said, "Taren, you have before you seven gift cards, ranging in denominations of a penny to $20, and it's... your job to figure out which is which!"
More uproars.
This gift really went over a lot better than I had imagined.
After cleaning up the mess, Taren made a show of wanting MY name for this year's Christmas....
lol...
I wonder what deliciously evil gift he has for me...
I've been told he is VERY excited about it....
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

No comments: