Monday, December 29, 2008

Illness and Death... and a moment of beautiful and poetic clarity...

There is something about vomiting that reminds me of death.
Sometimes it hurts.
Sometimes it makes you wish for better times.
Sometimes it makes one wish you had done things differently in the past.
But, as always, if you are sick, like death, it is something that is quite inevitable, and sometimes you find yourself sitting there just waiting for it to come...
Such was my day Saturday.
Actually, I found myself musing the above as I hovered in the bathroom, waiting for the inevitable.
Luckily, I awoke yesterday feeling well enough to eat my mother's chili for dinner.
THEN, today, I was well enough to go to work.
Hizzah!
Illness works in such strange ways...

While at work today, I saw a strange sight...
I noticed several sheriff cars go by the restaurant.
One..
Another one..
and another...
Walking outside the front doors, I saw that there were police, Highway patrol, Sheriff, Fire Dept., and various other types law enforcement vehicles parading down the road.
After a minute of gazing, I realized they were on their way to or from the funeral of a sheriff deputy who died this past week.
For some strange reason, I found this sight to be peculiarly and poetically beautiful...
So many people honoring one man...
I dunno...
Call me strange.
It was a moment where the world seemed to stand still...
Where nothing else matter.
Unfortunately, I had to pull myself away from the outside and return back to the restaurant and obligations.

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

What you say about barf is so true... For instance, Destiny barfed today. Not on the miles of easy-to-clean hardwood floors or linoleum in our house... NO. She barfed right in the middle of our expensive oriental rug. And as a result, I almost killed her.

(kingshe)