Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My wintery afternoon.

I donned a sweater, coat, gloves, hat, scarf, and boots.
Stepped outside.
It was snowing.
As I stepped off the porch, Aidenn pranced about, his heavy pants almost overpowering the crunch of snow and ice under my feet.
I looked around, marvelling at the yard, transformed into crystalline perfection.
I stomped my way towards the nearest pine, and gently ran my fingers along the frozen needles.
On other trees, buds and leaves were encased in a crystal cocoon.
Overnight, everything was glazed over and now sparkled as I walked by.
Walking into the small woods behind the barn, I saw that the usual thistles and barbs that guard the entrance had been glossed over.
I still cautiously bent low to avoid any contact or snag as I entered the trees.
The only indications that I was not the only one in this white world were the cheery chorkle of a nearby Nuthatch and Aidenn's constant panting.
Looking down, I saw that sometime in the day a rabbit had taken refuge in this small wood, leaving only his footprints behind.
Raising my eyes, I breathed in the cold air and was gently waved back into reality.
I shivered and began my trek back to the house.
I looked back around the yard, gazing over my footprints in the snow.
I wished I could've flown so I could sail over the yard and not mar the glistening facade.
As I walked back onto the porch, I took one last glance over my shoulder.
I had wished I brought my camera, but then resigned that no picture would've done the sight justice.
My memory would have to do.

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

Ha! What a lovely contrast to my experience! Beautiful post, T.

(winarn)