Saturday, January 31, 2009

Today's auditions

Auditions were today.
It was awesome, with the exception of a few hiccups.
One of the younger kids (7 years old) got up and did her monologue and whatnot, but, when it came time to read, her sister announced that she didn't want to read BUT she still wanted to be in the show.
If they show up tomorrow, I'll try and get her to read.
Otherwise, I can't cast her.
I mean, it wouldn't be fair to the other kids who went through the entire audition process and whatnot if I did cast her....
I hate that, but I have to be fair.
The second hiccup came about 5-10 minutes before we wrapped it up.
First, I heard the whirl of the lift as it started up, and I knew it had to be Susan, who's directing Little Johnny Jones.
As I tried to figure out why she would be there, James and I shot each other a look.
Then, her and Robert came around the corner, down in front of the stage.
Keep in mind, there were kids on the stage getting ready to read as they entered.
Then Susan made her way up the center aisle as Robert stationed himself right in front of the stage, and began flipping through one of the scripts stacked on the edge of the stage.
Then, as I had the kids begin to read, he STAYED THERE.
When the children finished, Robert turned to me and said, "Tahrea, is there a part that for me to read for?"
My mind was reeling as I tried to stay poised.
I was furious at the way they entered, but I couldn't be as rude because I had 30 faces boaring into my own as he asked....
So, I simply answered, "Sure Robert; you can read something."
I had three or four kids go back onstage with Robert, had them read a scene, and wrapped up the auditions...
We had started around 2:30 and it was then 4:30, and I could tell parents were getting restless.
Now, it wasn't their presence that made me-no us, James, Vera, Mom, and I- angry...
It was the fact that they came in soundly and literally RIGHT in the MIDDLE of everything.
I wouldn't have minded if Robert had grabbed a script then had a seat, or asked to fill out an audition sheet.
BUT he didn't...
And I could see the kids onstage at the time were slightly put off by it.....
Argh.
THEN, as mom and I tried to get our stuff out of the box office, we discovered that after Susan went into the office, she had LOCKED the door.......
with our purses and KEYS inside.
DOUBLEARGH!
Luckily, Junia and James got the window shutters to the box office open, and I was able to climb in and unlock the door.
PHEW!
BUT, the show must go on.
And if they come back tomorrow, I will kindly ask Robert to fill out an audition sheet and do a monologue like everyone else, lest I appear to be unfair to the other potential actors.
It was frustrating, but I'm not going to obsess over it.
Stuff happens.
And, like I said, the whole process went really well.
:o)
I'm really pumped to see what tomorrow night holds....
hopefully James' fears will be in vain, and the auditions won't suffer because of the superbowl....
Hopefully....

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

And that, my friend, is why they call it "Drama."

grahlo