Monday, January 26, 2009

Not my play, not my problem....

It is the 27th...
Auditions in four days.
WOW.
I realized yesterday that I could now use one hand to countdown the days...
fantastic stuff....

I went to check on the box office earlier, around 8 pm.
They were rehearsing, so I peeped in to see how the show was faring, and whether it had improved from last week.
...
...
...
Um...
Yeah.
I, once again, left the theatre, chanting, "Not my play, not my problem.. Not my play, not my problem..."
It didn't help.
My biggest problem is this...
The first scene I saw involved a group of kids, mostly girls, from ages 6 to.... 9 maybe.
They were playing bellboys at a hotel.
And they were doing a stellar job, a harsh juxtaposition to that of the adults in the scene.
There is also a group of older girls, 8th-11th graders, who were doing an equally fabulous job at their parts, thus outshining the adults.
I'm not saying this out of bias for the kids.
I love the majority of the folks in the play.
I'm saying this because it angered me because these kids put their hearts and souls into whatever production with which they are involved, and I know it won't matter a hill of beans because the adults kept messing up.
Depsite my personal opnions, I honestly pray that a miracle takes place before Friday...
Two days.
Because not one child had a script in his or her hand, but several adults held scripts and paper onstage, or just didn't know their lines and blocking.
It's very disheartening especially since some of the kids involved are brand new to RTP, and theatre itself.
This being their first exposure to theatre makes it even more sickening to me....
Those kids are the future of our theatre community.
Whatever rules and example we instill in them now will be carried for years to come.
I just would hate to see this play become yet another black spot to mar RTP's reputation in our small community, what with the drama of GREASE last year...
No wonder no one wants to do a musical...
What a mess.

But, as I said...
I'm praying for a miracle.

No comments: