Saturday, January 17, 2009

P-TO THE-R-TO THE-O-M-I-N-E-N-T RENDITION, PROMINENT RENDITION....

Today was certain a day.
Thursday I found myself roped into yet another Whirlwind adventure...
Another Show Choir Competition.
Dad was planning on driving down separately since he wasn't chaperoning and asked if I would like to go.
Not having anything better to do, I agreed to go, only after asking to bring Madison along.
I started my day at 7.
A.M.
After getting Madison and getting on the road after 10, we drove for an hour and a half to Portsmouth.
Yes, Portsmouth.
Although the high school was hosting the competition, it was held in the Verne Riffe Center of Shawnee University.
Now, this competition was a strange one for a couple reasons.
1.) Only eight groups were participating.
2.) NO solo competitions.
3.) No preliminaries and Finals.
Just ONE round.
Slight gulp.
4.) Usually, there is a port where the groups can unload their trailers and put their stage/set stuff til it needs to be assembled for their show.
Then, they'd assemble, perform, tear down, and store til the end of the competition.
NOT here.
In this case, the kids would have to unload the trailer, put their set together, perform, tear down the set, and stuff it back into the trailer.
On the flip side, this meant it was a shorter competition which means the kids would get home sooner, which is part of the reason I wanted Madison to go.
We get there, and every one is packing into this building.
Slight chaos.
After 15 minutes of checking everyone in, mom and the other "moms" herd the kids up to the rooms.
Dad, Madison, and I find a nice spot in the auditorium to park and watch the other groups.
The first group we saw the second slated group for the day.
Meh.
The soundman must have been slightly retarded and was driving my soundman Dad bonkers.
The piano for the group was OVERWHELMING and swallowing the vocals.
The performers sounded terrible, though I knew they were doing a better job than the soundman was making it out to be.
I honestly don't remember the next group.
I may not have seen the next group.
I remember that after that first performance, I was wrangled by my mother to come up and help the girls with their "Show Choir" hair.
SO I think I missed the next two groups.
I entered the classroom and mom quickly announced my presence.
Immediately, I was called upon by three or four girls.
So, I quickly dove into an ocean of hair and hairspray.
Show choir hair, if you don't know, is an art.
You have to perfect it.
Some girls have hair that can be pulled out of the curlers, adjusted, sprayed, and VIOLA!
Instant Fabulousness.
Junia always exhibits the perfect head of locks that I've dubbed "Baptist Hair." (The higher the hair, the closer to God.)
THEN, there are the other girls.
Maybe they curled their hair when it was just a little too damp.
Maybe they didn't keep the curlers in long enough.
Maybe they didn't use enough product.
Whatever the reason, oft times they are presented with stringy clumps or straight locks once the curlers are removed.
THIS is when special skills are called for.
Hair spray, hairspray, HAIRSPRAY.
And a prayer.
Usually does the trick.
About 30-40 minutes later, I emerge from the room in a cloud of hairspray fumes.
Returning to Dad and Madison, I resume my show-watching post as Hurricane (Pronounced Hurr'can for some odd reason) High school starts their performance.
They did so well I looked at Dad, worried.
Dad simply said, "The kids are going to have to step it up."
GULP.
Next was our kids.
All the parents gathered together, though scattered throughout the auditorium.
Tension and excitement both began to rise.
Then, they began.
And they rocked.
I was so proud.
The mom brigade then dispersed to collect the kids.
Some of the dads went back to help tear down.
The rest of us stayed to watch the next two groups.
Poca High school was next.
COMPETITION major.
They totally brought their A-game.
DOUBLE GULP.
Still proud of our kids, I knew all the PR Parents were a bit nervous.
Then Portsmouth High did their show, as most host schools do at these things.
THEN...
The Awards.
Talk about NERVES.
OMG.
The buzz was that our kids did well but a lot of PR'ers were expecting 1st or 2nd runner up (AKA 2nd or 3rd place).
Long story short....
Prominent Rendition got Grand Champs.
OMG!
Talk about hysterics.
The kids were so excited to run up and get their medals and take pictures with the BIG trophy.
The other groups were slightly peeved, as is the norm, but no one cared.
PR kids needed this.
Junia was on cloud Nine.
I was really happy that they won so Madison could see all the happy faces.
Great night.
After the competition, everyone stuffed into the Fazoli's to celebrate and frighten the local yokels trying to have a "nice" Italian family meal.
HA!
Dad, Madison, and I said our goodbye's and headed back home.
Of course, the sweet and fabulous five year old conked out in the car.
Too much.
I, of course, just had to laugh.
I often find myself stewing in thoughts quite cynnical when the subject of Show choir is brought up, mostly because Junia comes home with a new story of aggravation DAILY.
However, all cynnicism and disgust melts away when I'm arm deep in hair, or when my throat is so hoarse from cheering and screaming the group to victory with the rest of the crowd.
And then...
They go and win 1st place.
And I can't help but smile.

It's rather sickening, actually....

No comments: